Acid Rain When you think about acid, you may think about poisonous burns and chemicals. But when it comes to rain, acid rain is not what you would expect. Continue reading to learn more about acid rain, including whether it is safe to drink.Common CausesAcid rain, also called acid residues , is made acidic as a result of atmospheric pollution exposure. Some atmospheric pollution is caused by natural sources, such as volcanoes.But the most common cause for this type of atmospheric pollution is industrial burning of coal and other fossil fuels to create electricity, which produce waste gases which contain harmful sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOX). When these sulfur and nitrogen oxides combine with the oxygen and water in the air, it creates acids.What’s Acid Deposition?Water acidity and alkalinity is represented as a pH value, which can be measured on scale which ranges from 0 to 14, with 14 being most alkaline, 7 being neutral, and 0 being acidic. Rain is known as”acid rain” when it has a pH level between 4.2 and 4.4.At elevated levels, it can be detrimental to plants, landscapes, and the environment as a whole. However, in moderation, acid deposition is nothing to be worried about.You see, most ordinary rain has an average pH of 5.6, making it slightly acidic. This is a result of water and carbon dioxide reacting to one another in the air, and it is not dangerous to people, living organisms, nor plants. In the end, if you consider it, drinking water does not generally have a neutral pH value since it keeps dissolved mineral content. This implies that most acid rain is probably safe to drink, though it isn’t recommended.In terms of drinking rain water, you can do so safely if you boil it and filter it. Boiling rain water will remove any harmful pathogens, while filtering it will eliminate extra unwanted impurities, like chemicals, dust, pollen, mold, and other contaminants.When collecting rain water for drinking purposes, it is ideal to collect it directly from the skies into a clean barrel or bucket. Just be sure to place your collection barrel so that it is not in the way of tree branches and other structures that it might drip off. Also, let the water to sit for at least 1 hour to allow the heavy particulates to settle at the bottom.